Sunday, October 17, 2010

Swim, Grill, Eat (offseason tri)

Went to the pool today. I was on my own so I knew I had to have some sort of workout planned out, otherwise I’d just be wasting time. It’s been about 2 weeks since my last trip to the pool. I wasn’t expecting that because I was well rested I would be speedy. I decided on 250m warm-up, 10x100, then 10x50 followed by 10x25 with a 250 cool-down. The 100’s went alright, slow but I made it to the end of them. 1 min rest then into the 50’s, I got to the 5th one and took another minute rest before finishing them out. The 25’s were on :40 and after fighting through the other stuff they felt great. It was a good workout.

When I got home I mowed the yard. My arms were shot! Just pushing the mower around was a workout. So I may as well continue to beat on them. Today was bench press day. When I finished I went to the basement and knocked out a few sets while dinner was defrosting.

After that it was time to grill. I had cleaned out the grill on Saturday only to find out that my burners were nearly shot. One of them was fell apart in my hands when I went to move it. Fortunately just setting it all back into plan in just the right way was going to allow me to use it until my new burner arrives. I’m guessing this is our 3rd in 10 years moving onto the 4th when it arrives this week. I’d imagine I use it twice a week 10 months of the year. They sell for about $43, so that’s 32 cents every time I go out to grill. I figured I’d do the math because I always wonder if I should have bought a better brand that might have a more durable burner. My guess is that my Kenmore grill with 4 burner replacements is still cheaper than a Weber or something like that. (I’m not saying it’s better, just cheaper).

Not much on the workout front this weekend but I’m going to try to do more this week. The ankle is still not 100% but I think I understand how to work with it. It seems it works the best once everything is stretched out. After swimming, when I mowed the lawn, I didn’t once feel the tendon under my ankle roll. I was feeling really good about that. Then when I was climbing the stairs from the basement, that’s when I got a good roll from it. It doesn’t hurt, I just can’t imagine that if it were to do that every step of a 30 minute run, that I wouldn’t be asking for trouble. That being said, I think I need to finally take it out for a test run and find out how often it does roll. It could be that I just have to keep the course straight and flat and the time short. I figure I need to do this because I’m going to dig around for a podiatrist this week. I figure if it’s only $35 to get a second opinion then I may as well do it. I have too many people telling me that they can’t believe the other doctor didn’t do an MRI to really see what’s going on and to make sure something isn’t torn. I don’t know enough about it to really have an opinion of whether that’s a possibility or not. I just know that I want to be running on a regular schedule sooner than later. (who thought I’d be saying that 3 years ago).


Edit: One final note. Tried a couple new beers this weekend.

Cricket Hill IPA. My review is that if you are a lager fan and don't care for a strong IPA this beer might be for you. With a name like Cricket Hill you would think it would be super hoppy but I didn't find it to be so.

Sam Adams Lattitude 48: This IPA I really liked, there was a ton of flavor in this one. I'm not good enough to compare to some other IPA without a side by side but I put it up there with the Long Trail IPA for sure. I'll be stopping to pick up another one of these later this week.


Genine also posted up a new chili recipe.

No comments: