Thursday, May 10, 2012

Injury update

Training has not been good. My left hip is still unhappy. I guess lowering the volume of work wasn't enough. It looks like some time off along with some NSAIDs and Ice is going to be the plan. Which is frustrating but really there are worse things that can happen. So I need to get over it and get myself to the pool, as that's the one thing I could be doing at this point.

Just for the sake of record keeping, here's why I think this happened. The switch to outdoor riding and riding long too quickly. If it were flat, I'd probably be fine. The other week where I looped Round Valley 3x. That was probably too much of a ride.

The other thing is that my bike fit was off and I didn't realize it. I spent an hour this week on the trainer messing with my setup. My saddle was low by nearly a half inch. I found when I was doing single leg drills my left knee was having to move way to the outside in order to go over the top. I'm sure that was a contributing factor. (I'm not sure why my right knee didn't seem to have the same issue at the lower height)

I've got a race a week from Sunday. I'm hoping that this hip issue clears up before then. I'm sure I could race with the problem but with 2 Olys and a Half all within 5 weeks, I'm not sure that would be the smart choice. None of the courses are flat and hills seem to give my hip the most grief.

Genine races her first triathlon of the season this Saturday morning.
I have a 4 miler in Central Park Sunday. (maybe, it's not going to be fast if I go).

My other weekend project is to get a new tire glued on to the Hed 3's. I flatted out at Columbia last year. The rear tire has a couple questionable spots on it. I'm thinking I'll pull that tire off and that will become the spare as it will be nice and stretched. I don't plan on flatting again, but if I do, I really hope the slime would bail me out.

Lastly, because I haven't been working out much lately, it's been interesting to note the changes. Initially I wasn't sleeping well. I think I was so used to being exhausted that nothing would wake me up. So for the first 3-4 nights I just didn't sleep well.
My calorie requirements are much lower. Of course that took awhile to get the feel of. Again the first few days I just wanted to keep feeding the machine. Then it hit. I'm not needing all the extra calories and I just started to eat like a normal person. (sort of).
Yes my hip hurts because of tendonitis or bursitis or something. But overall, I can tell you, I feel much better when I'm doing all these crazy workout, than I do when I'm not doing them. I'm talking physically/muscularly.

Hoping that I'm back on the move soon.
I would say this has the feel of the lead in to Timberman last year, except that my expectations for these early races are nowhere near as high as what they were last summer for Timberman.

No comments: