Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Columbia 2012 Race Report


I almost decided to skip this race this year. I’ve had very limited training the last 3 weeks. My left hip was just not getting better. Finally between a couple massages during this last week and just giving it a ton of rest, it felt like it was possible. I’ll admit there were a couple other factors. We have friends that live near the race site (15-30min) and it’s not often we catch up with them other places. I would have been sad to miss those visits. Also because the race was a 5150 Qualifier, there were more pros attending the race. I wouldn’t see much of them but Genine had fun watching the race.

The Swim: I’m always feeling ready to put in a solid swim. This event puts some big gaps between swim waves. 8 minutes. Which I think is the right thing to do. I appreciate that they do this. I would love it if they would divide up our age group start tho. Our 40-44M  group was 232 people. I put myself up at the line in hopes of catching a fast pod and potentially missing some of the mayhem. At the final 60 seconds to start, I found myself behind 5 people. What can you do…
We start. Sun is directly in our line of sight, so if you are hoping to see buoys, it’s not going to happen unless you are in the front. That’s not an issue tho. Just follow the crowd. Up to the first turn it was incredibly frustrating. Constant contact, which I don’t mind. No easy way to negotiate around the swimmers that sprinted and are already struggling. I was nearly kicked in the face 4 times by the same guy that would swim for 3 or 4 strokes. Then go into a breast stroke. WITH THE KICK!!! Are you kidding me! In this crowd?!?! Obviously I had to get away from this situation. So I powered over/through and l actually pushed people away from me to create the space I needed. (I will probably send a note to the race director asking that if the group is going to be this large, mention that this type of kick is a dangerous idea. Or even better, split the division in two. People going for the podium in the AG should indicate that on their application and the contenders can be in the same wave.)
After the first turn conditions improved for half the distance to the next buoy. I closed the gap to a group ahead of me then did a terrible job getting around them. I should have gone to the outside to make the pass. The 2nd turn sends us away from the sun so sighting is no longer an issue. Now I felt that I really started to swim well. I’d pick out someone to close the gap on and it seemed as if I was on their feet in no time. At which point I would just make the pass and pick the next cap to chase down. I was really feeling good about my swim at this point. I didn’t consider the fact that I may have lost so much time at the start that these people were considerably weaker swimmers than me. It was during this stretch that I realized that I didn’t start my watch, so I wasn’t going to know my swim split as I came out of the water.
Turns out it was a 27:32 or 1:51 pace. Slower than last year…


T1: I hear Genine cheering for me as I run up into transition. I’m feeling good, wetsuit came off easily. Sunglasses, Helmet, Shoes, Leg Cramps. WHAT?!?!  I hardly use my legs when I swim! My interior quads (or whatever they are, adductors?) are freaking out right now. So here I am standing at my bike at a complete standstill, waiting for them to relax. Finally I decide to try to run up the hill to the bike start. Halfway up the hill, WHAM, they cramp up again. Now I’m standing on the hill watching people run by me with their bikes. Eventually they relax and I cross the timing mat for what turns out to be a 3:36 T1 time. Except they still aren’t done. Now I’m standing at the back of the start on the far side waiting… waiting. I’m guessing another full minute. As I get started, I look for Genine. I spot her and yell, “we will see how this goes…” She thinks I’m referring to my hopes of not flatting out. Some other woman yells out, “You are going to do great!” Race days are awesome.

The Bike: Obviously I’m going to have to go easy to avoid cramping. I figure I’ll know soon enough whether or not this is going to get better or worse. It wasn’t long before I came across people changing flats. I shouted out as I approached asking if they had what they needed. I figure if there was going to be a race where I should be helpful this seems to be a good one. They were set. I didn’t need to stop. The next person I came across was standing roadside with their bike on one of the climbs looking disappointed. I asked if they needed help. She said she had a broken cable. It was unlikely I was going to be able to help that situation, so I kept going. Shortly after that, someone up ahead of me goes off the road slightly, then crashes back onto the road. I ask if they want some help and they tell me they are okay.
Eventually, I realize my legs seem to be cooperating so I start to dial up some intensity. I’m easily 5 miles in already and probably have been biking harder than I think I am. The road conditions were fantastic. Staying aero on this course was so easy. One downhill I put myself into a very aggressive aero position because I had nobody near me. I had my hands on the bullhorns and practically lay myself on top of my areo pads. I hit 40mph and closed the gap with the group ahead of me. That really showed me how important, minimizing frontal resistance is.
There were more than a few times where I got caught behind people that were blocking. Heck, one time I was blocked by the official on the motorcycle. (I think he was blocked as well). Not that big of a deal. It would be awesome to be able to ride that course as a time trial tho’.
I finished the bike in 1:19:02 or 19mph. This was better than I expected to be honest. Although judging by my HR monitor, I was pushing pretty hard.

T2: 1:42 I didn’t rush through this. I was trying to decide whether or not I should run.

The Run: It’s only 10K. That’s what I left transition thinking. Try to get into a zone and knock it down. The first mile 8:20. 2nd mile 8:00. 3rd mile never saw the marker. I’ll admit to walking part of a couple of the steeper hills. My right quad was feeling it. I watched people from my age group run by. It was sad. I just couldn’t bring myself to stay on the gas.  In hindsight, I wish I would of. I doubt I would be any more sore as a result of having pushed it the rest of the way. I suppose the good news is, as I reached the final mile or so of the run where it’s basically flat, I got to thinking about how next year I will be ready for this run. (Have I said that before?)
53:46 or 8:41 min/mile. I was just under 8 min/mile last year. So this was a significant drop off compared to last year.

Other than the leg cramps, (which for the life of me, I do not understand how that happens after a swim) I really enjoyed the race. Catching up with our friends in the area was even better. It all goes by too quickly. It was a great weekend.

No comments: