Friday, May 18, 2012

Going to Race this weekend

I've dialed my training so far back the last few weeks, that I feel like I'm in the off season. My left hip was in a bad place. Even pushing off the wall during my swim would cause me some pain.

Sunday I went in for a massage. I decided to switch to the person Genine has been going to, hoping I may have better results. It was a good decision. Initially I was flinching from pain as it was being worked on. By the end of the hour, I was surprised by how much better it was feeling. I asked how often one typically could have that type of injury worked on. He said he really only had people come to him once a week at most. On the way out I booked a session for 2 days later. (Tuesday).

Then Wednesday night, I got on the bike trainer and got 40 minutes in. Then I went to the pool and some easy swimming.
Thursday night, I went out for a 3 mile run. Within the first mile, I ran past a place that was burning garbage or yard waste. My lungs didn't like that at all. Everything else was pretty good tho'. After the run I tightened up a bit and my lungs were a wreck until the next morning.

Woke up this morning and my hip wasn't complaining about the run, so I guess it's time to start things back up.
We are going to make the trip to Columbia this weekend. I had been considering saving money by not making the trip if I was only going to be able to swim. It looks as if I should be able to do more than that. Pacing on the bike will be key. This is a similar situation to last year's Timberman for me in terms of my training the 2-3 weeks leading up to the event. I had to quit after the bike at that race.

As bad as the hills are on the run at Columbia, I'd like to get through the run. If I feel my hip is going to be a problem I will stop. Mooseman is just 2 weekends away. That is more important to me.

As tentative as all that sounds. I AM looking forward to seeing how I do on the swim. The bike course is fun no matter what speed you ride. And because the race is a 5150 qualifier, there will be a bunch of pros there. (not that I'll see much of them). Genine will have fun tho'. I'll have to wait for her photos.

(hope I don't regret not making time to replace the tubular on the rear tire/ why didn't I drop it off to have the shop do it?)

Edit: Forgot to mention that I skipped last weeks NYRR 4 miler in Central Park.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Hope it goes well today!! Good luck!