Saturday, September 24, 2011

NYC 18 Miles a no go

Yeah, whatever I did to my left calf at the end of last weekend's run has taken me out of this weekend's race. I massaged, stretched, took extra days off, but eventually I had to run. I went out for a very easy run and 1.5 miles in, my calf got very angry, instantly, just like last weekend. Then I limped back home.
It's strange because most of the time it feels perfectly fine. Every now and then when I'm walking down stairs, I can feel some tightness but it doesn't cramp up on me like it does when I'm running.
18 miles would be a bad idea at this point. Strike 1.
I've got two weeks before the next possible LONG attempt and I have a 13 miler in Central park scheduled next Saturday. I'll do everything I can to be ready and see what happens.

In other news, 2012 Schedule Update:
The signup for IM Mont-Tremblant 70.3 was last week. Genine and I had thought that looked like a cool race venue when it was first announced. Some may remember that I had initially planned Ironman Newfoundland 70.3 to be my first Half Iron. Then they cancelled the venue.
Anyhow, Genine kept talking about wanting to do a new race next year and even tho' this one may not fit my schedule perfectly, I decided it's the one I wanted to do the most. So we are signed up!
One of the things that sounded really good to me was this: "Mont Tremblant takes pride in its bike course, which is 95% closed to other traffic and newly paved on 70% of its surface."
Yep, that should be cool.
Genine and I figure that by having a half iron scheduled in June, that should get us focused on getting in shape a bit quicker than we did this past year. Not that we aren't always trying to stay in shape. I'm just saying that having a tough race on the schedule is a really good motivator.

Lastly, because I've not been working out much I've put on weight. I really haven't been able to get in the zone with my eating habits in quite some time. (feels like a couple of years really) Well I'm kind of annoyed with myself at the moment so the motivation is there. So Fitday.com is back in action for me. I've got a few ideas about what I'd like to change in my diet long term but I've got to get some things together before adding in the changes. More on that later.

4 comments:

Regina said...

Yep, I was out too. Still not running...le sigh.

Jon said...

Sorry this is happening! There has to be someone around here who can give you some answers....unless you know whats up?

Yeah, I have packed it on a bit since stopping running.

I prefer the eat anything you want diet while running 30 miles per week. Much happier person!

catmarlson said...

It's annoying but I suppose not totally surprising seeing the run schedule I was attempting to pull off.

I don't think I've done major damage. I'm just being cautious so I don't do major damage.
It would be nice if I had a doctor that could check things out for me. I've yet to find that doctor tho'.

Getting the diet on track is a good thing. I don't seem to do well at losing weight no matter what my training regimen is.
I'm hopeful that I can adjust my permanent eating habits yet again and take it to the next level.

m said...

I hope you get to get the run done next time!