Saturday, September 10, 2011

2012 Triathlon Schedule possiblities

Yep, It's that time already. Time to start signing up for next year's events. I'm really glad that I received a Facebook update about there being a Mooseman/Timberman Combo pack discount, because that got me thinking about next year. Which lead me to check on Columbia's signup. It typically fills very quickly and I found that it was already open! So I immediately signed up for that race. Why? Well I know I can do better than I did this year, (would be nice to finish without a flat). More importantly, I also have enough friends in the area down there that I probably wouldn't see otherwise if I didn't race this event. That makes it a must do.

Back to this Mooseman and Timberman notice. It turns out that if we register for both events before the 14th, we get a pretty nice discount. Its' enough that if we are going to do both of them we should sign up now. The thing is, Genine has been talking about going to the new Rev3 race up in Maine instead of Timberman. Which makes sense to me, except that Timberman is cheap for us because we don't have to get a hotel or eat meals out. Also I can see where Genine would want to move on, it's tough to top her Timberman Experience this year. I on the other hand have not had the race I'd like to have on that course yet. So it's still pulling me in. No decision has been made, we have a few days. Maybe we will do both! Meaning I race Timberman, Genine races Rev3 OOB. If we worked that schedule, there would be a lot more race photos. Ha!

One step earlier in our schedule next year is the Tango. Fortunately, we don't have to make a decision about how much of that race we are going to do any time soon. As always, there is talk about doing as little as one event, to doing the entire thing together. Genine has done everything but the 13.1 in that race. I haven't biked or run the 4.5. Relay is probably the most likely as I'm really unsure about how long it would take to recover from a full tango and be ready to race a half iron 15 days later.

Next step earlier was an empty July schedule this past year. Black Fly Tri in NH continues to be an event I'd like to do. Visions of doing the whole "Lord of the Flies" thing where you do every race that weekend. To just going over to compete in the bike time trial, as I've never done a straight up time trial before.

Before that is Mooseman. I've been thinking about doing the 70.3 next year. My main reason was because the Olympic event was so poorly attended this past year. It just lacked "big race" feel. The 70.3 didn't have that problem. Again, it's been tough to beat our prior years when we've had a bunch of our friends up for the weekend and they would race as a relay team. Well.... I am stunned. They brought back the relay team category to both Mooseman and Timberman!! That makes it more difficult for me to decide on the 70.3. If there is going to be a bunch of people post race partying from the Olympic on Saturday, it's going to be really hard to get sleep that night to wake up for a 70.3 on Sunday. The good news is, I still love the Olympic distance course and I would love to have a really fast day on it.

I have a couple days to think on all this. There are so many other events that we'd love to do. Mont-Tremblant 70.3 in late June for example. Or Rev3 Costa Rica. Or LavaMan. Or Boulder 70.3 to visit family and friends there.... You get the idea. There is plenty to do out there and I don't think there are many bad decisions on that list.

What do you have planned?

2 comments:

m said...

My vote is for Boulder 70.3 :) Plus we may end up planning our wedding that weekend so you can multitask when you are out here :)

catmarlson said...

Unfortunately, 2012 Boulder is probably not the best fit for a number of reasons. Who do we contact to see about having them move it away from the Tango date? Ha ha.
Very cool that plans for the big day are in the works tho'!