Monday, September 12, 2011

long run and a nice ice bath

I’m about to start week 3 of my 11 week marathon schedule. I really doubt 11 weeks is going to be enough time to put together a very good marathon time. I am hoping that it will be enough for me to complete it without feeling like I walked most of the time tho'.


I was having some serious doubts over the last week. Last weekend’s 12 miler was a sufferfest as was my mid week 7 miler. My brain was into it and I got them done, but it was a challenge.


Yesterday, Genine, Todd and I went out to the High Bridge trail to hopefully run 14 miles. The trail is 7 miles long so out and back would cover it. Except that would mean no hydration past what you could carry. Also it would mean if I couldn’t manage it. It could be a 7 mile walk back to the car. So I suggested we run out 3.5 miles then return to the car, rehydrate and fill up to do a 2nd run.


So we headed out. I was feeling much better than I did the other day. It was a nice cool day for running. A cool humidity, which was kind of odd but all in all, good running conditions.

I was definitely running faster than I should have been but everything was moving so well, I didn’t want to change anything. Even my foot strikes were feeling better than they had for a long while. When we reached about 3 miles. I suggested we switch to 4.5 out for the first “loop”. That way we’d have 9 down and 5 to go when we got back to the car. Everyone was on board with that plan.


When we turned to head back. Genine dropped to a pace I probably should have been running at, Todd and I ran ahead. I hadn’t run this trail in awhile and had forgotten how long the “hills” were. They aren’t steep but it’s enough to be noticeable. We got back to the car it what felt like a very short time. 9 down 5 to go. Genine thought she was a long way behind but she arrived very soon after us. She said she was done for the day tho’.


Todd and I headed back out. It was a climb to start, so there wasn’t much talking. About a mile in, I think I started to ask Todd how far we’d gone. (he had the gps). We kept moving. Just get it done. We walked for a short bit at 2.5. Then headed back. My legs were tight and I started to think about recovery from this. With about a mile left to go we spot Genine walking. She ran back to the car with us. It was kind of funny to see the high school kids running at us doing mile repeats.


We got back to the car and even tho’ I’d used body glide. I knew that what I was wearing today would not be what I’d wear for any other long runs. (ouch)


My massage is scheduled for Monday night. I think I may have to start scheduling those for Sunday night. On the way home, we stopped at a store to pick up 2 bags of ice. It was time for me to start doing this right.

Even putting my feet into an ice bath is a tough challenge but I’d heard of a trick of how to do this ice bath thing. You get into the tub when it’s just cold water from the tap. Then you add the ice in once you are in. Soooo much easier. And yes, the ice bath is very much worth the time and effort.


Hoping to get some help for my right foot at the massage tonight. That seems to be the weak link right now.


Anyhow, I’m much more hopeful about the marathon today than I was on Friday. I’ve got 17 miles on the schedule next weekend. I’m going to have to slow it down and really work on the salt tab, gel and hydration intake. I would love to finish 17 miles feeling positive. That would match my longest run ever and it's also the run that ended my training for 2 months last year. That's not going to happen this year.

2 comments:

Jford said...

I am doing my first mnarathon on Dec 3. I am doing Ironman Branson this weekend, then I hope to start my training oct 1. I am hoping for a 4:30-4:45 finish time! Good luck!

catmarlson said...

Very cool.
I'll be curious to compare notes about the difficulty of 70.3 vs 26.2.

I'm not ready to venture a guess for my finish time for the marathon.
Actually I'm not ready to say I'm on the starting line.
By the end of the month, I should know the reality of it.

Good luck at Branson!
And if it's a hot one. Walk those aid stations for salt tabs and water!