Sunday, September 4, 2011

Not so much..

My last post was "Back in business". I was hopeful but it wasn't to be.
Friday morning when I woke up, I moved my neck and it popped. (never a good sign). A muscle on the right side of my neck that connected on my back, opposite of my collar bone, was as tight as a piano string. So I couldn't turn my neck very far. Even looking up and down was a challenge. I knew I should just get to a chiropractor. I couldn't see missing work tho.
So I headed into the city. Carrying my backpack caused that muscle to spasm a couple times. Sitting at work, I was tilting my shoulders and back in all sorts of strange ways trying to keep off that nerve in my neck. I knew I had to get to a chiropractor ASAP. My NYC chrio was already gone for the weekend. I made an appointment near home and had to leave work early.

The chiropractor figures this is simply a result of my weeks of back spasms from the shingles, then the additional lack of motion from the right shoulder I fell on. He couldn't believe how little movement I could manage tho'. He started me off with electro-stim to try and fatigue the muscle to the point it couldn't hold the cramp. Then a bunch of stretches. He had to physically push my head around to get that muscle to extend. Eventually he felt like he could attempt to align my neck. I'm not typically nervous about that adjustment but it was definitely a concern today. He adjusted it easily. Then he put me back on to the electro-stim to really try and exhaust that muscle.

I had already scheduled a massage that night. I was hoping it was going to be for my legs. My attempt at keeping them loose and ready to take on my running schedule. Instead, he spent nearly the entire time working on my back and shoulder. Deep Tissue. You know, the painful stuff. I left feeling as if I had a bit more range of motion in my neck but it was still very sore. And my brain felt like i had poison running through my veins. They always suggest to hydrate well after deep tissue to flush the toxins. I don't think I've ever felt it this dramatically tho'.

The next morning it was back to the chiropractor for another round. Same routine as the previous day. Which meant I was there for probably 45 min to an hour again.

So instead of working out, I've been hanging out at home. We did go see the Harry Potter movie. We left feeling underwhelmed once again. I guess the good news is that's the end of them. If I want to relive the experience, I'll read the books again, with the exception of Azkaban, that film was pretty good.

I've also been working on my iTunes library and updating my photo software. The photo software update looks like it might take 12+ hours of just the computer doing its thing. After that I plan on trying a new backup scheme. That will take some time as well. I'm guessing that when I finish creating this system, they will give up on the software and I'll be stuck with something useless. (This has happened once before). Although I'm using an Apple product, so maybe I'll be alright for awhile.

Sorry for the lack of Triathlon or Marathon updates.

No comments: