Saturday, July 23, 2011

Race updates

Tupper Lake 1/2 Iron- Great race for me (really not a race, but a personal challenge). Swam 1 hour for 1.2 miles, ....took 22 minutes off my time from 11 years ago. The bike- rained a little during but when it did, it hurt! Bike 3:30 hours for 56 miles- a 45 minute improvement. Legs started burning at 45 miles. Run went well for three miles then decent the rest of the way 2 hour 5 minutes for the 1/2 marathon. 5 minutes slower than 11 years ago. Bottom line- 1hour faster and finished in 6:44 and felt better after the finish than I usually do following a marathon. So in September,... I'm signing up for this race.

Butler Triathlon- 2 weeks later. Swam my faster 1/4 mile ever- 9:13. The water was significantly warmer than tupper. Bike was tough and crowded, but I was pleased. The run was fantastic. I ran 21:15 for the 5k and negative split the run course. Finished 80th of 242. A good showing for me.

Today- Oil city Firemen's 5k- Marty and I ran 12 miles total as we are now training for the green mountain marathon in vermont (Oct 16). I ran 5:58, 6:00, 6:07, :29. Felt like a million bucks. Total 18:36 and placed 10th of 199. My best 5k in several years and the course it certified!! I was nervous about the tango run coming up. Now I feel like I should be able to run as fast as last year.

I look forward to seeing you all soon

2 comments:

catmarlson said...

Awesome Jim! Very cool that you are going for full IM. Is Chris signing up as well then?

And look at all these race reports. I thought I was the race addict! You might take that title from me this year.

I'm really looking forward to the Tango. It's going to be a fun day.

Jim said...

Chris will be doing it too!