Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sleep/Train/Work/Train: repeat

Yep, I’m still around. It’s just been very busy, mostly a fun busy so I’m not complaining.

All sorts of stuff is running through my head. I know I don’t have time to organize a good post so I’m just going to throw a bunch of stuff down here.

Racing Columbia and Mooseman 13 days apart: I just wanted to note that physically I was recovered from the first race. At my current fitness level, racing 2 Olympic distance events that close together is definitely doable.

Things I would change for next year:

I need to make Mooseman or Columbia an A race and peak for that event. This will build speedwork into my workouts earlier.

I also have to spend more time running hills. I’m not exactly sure what the balance is, but I know that my standard run course isn’t good enough to prepare for Columbia’s run course.

For Mooseman I’m wondering, if I lose the clip-on aero bars on my road bike and get fit for road position, would that make for a faster ride for me than my tribike? I definitely need to look into this after Timberman this year.

Ironman Events: The other day was signup for two new Ironman venues. The one up in Quebec in late August looks like my kind of venue. I also think that it’s probably at the right time of year in terms of having time for outdoor training. Genine asked me if I was thinking of signing up. I said no.

Some may argue it’s not many more hours than I’m training now, so what’s the difference? Well I think the big thing is this. I don’t think I want to be an ironman enough and I think that it’s a pretty big key to being successful. That may change in the future. Heck, if a bunch of my friends called me and said they were signing up, I’d probably jump in pretty quickly. Of course it would be nice if they were local and we could train together but we’ve trained “together” through this blog before, so I know that’s pretty good motivation as well.

A couple of minor injuries (if that’s what they are), also have me concerned that even a half iron may be too much. (so far so good tho). My right foot is still not striking properly when I run. Which is likely cause or effect of my right hamstring being tight. I definitely got some relief with chiropractic and massage but I’m not cured. Dealing with this is definitely impacting my outlook.

Motivation is still good. It might even be better than it has been in quite some time. I actually was up at 5AM and completed a morning workout Mon-Thurs this week. So I haven’t had to brick workouts at night like I had been doing from time to time.

The two mornings that I ran this week I had my HR monitor on. As I was standing in the kitchen getting ready to go, I noticed my HR was hanging around 53. That seems lower than previous years. I’m not sure I get that same reading in the evening.

My swimming speed has been below average. Really odd how the week before Mooseman I had such a great workout, since then it’s been pretty awful. Frustrating but not surprising. Same as it ever was…

I’ve been getting better about building core strength. I’m really taking my time with it. In other years I’d tried pull up plans and push up plans. They were too aggressive and I paid the price. I think I’ve finally learned my lesson. Make a plan that goes slow and steady, then stick to the plan. So far so good with the core plan.

Looking at my training schedule, it doesn’t get much more difficult than what I did this past week. I survived it, but as you can tell by my lack of posts, I don’t have much free time as a result.

I set a new PR for distance on the bike this Saturday. 62 miles. I’ve finally done more than 56 miles. Maybe that means I’ll be better prepared for Timberman this time around. I had to run after those 62 miles, I found out that I was somewhat dehydrated. It didn’t feel like it on the bike, but it was obvious on the run. That is something I need to focus on in the future.

The next day, I swam 5000m then ran for about 10-11 miles. The swim was slow but consistent. The run, perhaps a bit dehydrated again. I had my fuelbelt on but indigestion was pretty much in play the entire run. Ah well. I got it done.

There are many other things I’d like to ramble on about but once again I’m out of time and I’ve been working on this post almost all week. (sad I know). Sorry my posting is so infrequent and for my lack of comments on other’s blogs. I’m just having a heck of a time finding the time.

Hope everyone is fit and injury free!

No comments: