Sunday, June 26, 2011

5 Miler Central Park Race Report 2011

Achilles Hope & Possibility Results
Beautiful morning for a race. It's going to be a warm one but not a scorcher.
I biked 58 miles yesterday so it was hard for me to know what I was going to get out of my legs this morning.
The warmup was decent but when I tried to do the striders there wasn't much pep to them. Nothing new there I suppose. I just knew I would have to run a solid pace run today rather than go for a PR.
I got to the corral early but made the mistake of not moving up further. There was plenty of room, I just had in my head that I shoudn't get in the way. It was a very congested first mile+. The fact there was some uphill also had the mass moving a bit slower than I had expected. Not a big deal.
I forgot my watch today, so no splits. I was going to go by perceived effort and try not to be too lazy. Once the course opened up a bit, I decided to find someone that looked to be running a pace that I should be pushing and then go with them. I'm glad I did. I think we negative split every mile by a little bit.
I passed all the aid stations because once again my stomach was a mess. (not sure why this is happening so often lately). My pacer went over to the last water station, that's when I was on my own again. It was a downhill with a mile to go. I tried to open it up as much as I could. My pacer pulled along side of me at one point but I was bursting at times to break through the people that run downhill poorly. Towards the end of that mile, I was hurting a bit more that I thought I would be but I guess that's a good way to finish.
I knew I was under 8 min miles but wasn't positive of my time until I got home and checked online.

37:58 7:36 min/mile.
390th of 3327 Overall
345 of 1684 men
46 of 212 Age Group.

That time is a bit slower than it probably should have been. The long bike the day before definitely played a part. I'm alright with it. Glad to be out there runnin'.
I don't think I'm going to make it to another NYRR race until September maybe October. I shouldn't have a problem getting my 9 races in. Today was my 5th of the year.

I think I need to challenge myself to setting some PRs at these races next year. This year I had to learn how the coaching thing for triathlon was going to play out. Next year I should be able to plan out which run races I should make goal races to get me ready for the Triathlon season.
I'm interested in doing this now, but with a Half Iron and a marathon ahead of me, I need to think distance not speed.

No comments: