Saturday, February 4, 2012

MRI Results

Went to the doctor's office on Thursday afternoon to review my MRIs. I really didn't know what to expect but I figured there would be an 80% chance that they send me for Physical Therapy and that would be the end of it.

The doctor shows up with my pictures and to make a long story short. He doesn't see anything wrong. Kind of a frustrating answer but it's better than finding out that I've got something seriously wrong.

So I figured now he would send me to some therapy place, but he threw a curve ball instead. He gave me the names of a couple of doctors that would be able to dig deeper into the problem by means of arthroscopy. Obviously that is a serious next step. (at least in my opinion)

Seeing how I seem to be improving these last couple weeks. I'm not in any rush to sign up for that procedure. The MRI and X-Rays at least gave me peace of mind that I'm not destroying cartilage, running on torn tendons or have any type of arthritis or broken bones. That's important. What's the point of getting into shape if you are just injuring yourself? Especially if it's could become a long term issue.

Even though there is still some sort of problem. I'm going to just manage my own recovery. Try to remember to ice it after every run. Do an assortment of strengthening exercises. But mostly, just be very aware of how I'm walking and running. I'd like to have my foot strike be consistent again. To make that happen, I have to think about my stride, foot placement... the whole chain of events. I think I may just have to unlearn a bad habit that may have crept in due to various aches/pains which caused me to unconsciously modify my stride to avoid pain or further injury.

Hopefully I can put all that behind me. Moving on.

The training plan: It seems that I can't count. I started my 20 week plan 21 weeks before my target race. (I'll just be that much faster as a result)

Once I finish my run and swim tomorrow, I'll have completed all my workouts for the last 3 weeks. That's not to say there isn't any modification along the way. What I plan out in advance doesn't always happen on the time slot or even the day I thought it would happen. I do try very hard at the beginning of the week to nail everything as written because that creates flexibility later in the week.

Swimming: I'm confident that things will get better... I now have a much greater appreciation of my swim fitness in previous years.

Biking: I did a 2:30:00 trainer ride last night. I stopped many times to adjust the cleat on my right shoe. I'm hopeful that I'm finally in the ballpark. After awhile it's hard to have perspective. I'm jealous of Genine for having days during the warm weather and getting outside and riding. I do appreciate her watching a movie with me last night during that 2:30:00 tho!

Running: I'm doing a good job of not running the same course twice in the same week. Not as many hill runs this past week but I think I did the right thing by stopping when I did.

Weights: Going to the Y for this is definitely an upgrade. Although I really wish Lifetime Fitness was closer, just because that place had EVERYTHING in their weight "room". (Palace?)

Tomorrow is a 4 mile race in Central Park. I planned on taking today off but I missed a swim. I did get a massage tho'. Maybe that balances things out. I'm hoping I start to feel better on the uphill parts of the course tomorrow. We will soon see.

No comments: