Thursday, March 29, 2012

Swim Lessons

I've already had 2 lessons. The first one was an hour long. After which I felt my mind was going to explode because I had been given so much to work on. I wrote most of it out so that I'd be able to keep track of it.
The 3 main points were:
Keeping arms and hips in sync.
High elbow catch & pull.
Hand exit. I'm creating a huge splash. I need to get out cleanly. He considered this the most severe of the 3 problems.

I spent 2 weeks working on this. I felt pretty confident that I had made significant improvements to the first two items but my catch & pull felt inconsistent and at times lacking power.

When I went back for lesson two, I signed up for a 30 minute slot. I figured that by keeping the time short, I wouldn't be overloaded. I love all the feedback but I had to slow it down a bit.

He watches me for a couple laps. He sees the improvement in the high elbow. Then asks how it feels to be swimming that way. I explain to him that it feels inconsistent. We get into a discussion about that and he sends me back down the pool to determine if it's equal on both sides or what is making me feel that way.
I get to the wall and he already knows what I'm going to tell him. It's the pull on the right side. And then the can of worms comes open. Here's what he saw on that 25.
My kick is throwing me off balance when my right arm is forward.
Which causes me to adjust my pull to keep me from going further out of line.
The bad pull + kick adds up to a terrible glide on my left side because my right hip isn't getting out of the water either.

How to fix? First let's keep it simple and remove the legs from the equation.
Pull buoy swim.
Right side pull improves dramatically. Need to work on deeper and wider reach up front at the catch which will allow for a more even pull and room for the exit at the end of the stroke.
Without the pull buoy.
Focus on a much smaller kick. Any time I allow my legs to go wide, not only does it add resistance but it's throwing off my body position.

The one other comment he added is that I'm not reaching far enough for my catch. I already know how to fix that. That is just a matter of me focusing on reaching deeper in front of me and maintaining a forward lean in the water. When I want to be fast, I do this well. When I'm thinking of other things, it's the first thing to go wrong. So it's part focus and part just being lazy.

It seems that I've got a bunch of stuff to work on. The good news, in my opinion, is that I don't have as many problems when I'm swimming with a pull buoy (which is similar to a wetsuit swim). So I'm alright with focusing on the arms/hip problems first, as that will translate to better times in the races. I'll work on the kick once I've got the feel for this front end stuff burned into my brain.
I did 3500m the morning after this lesson and already I feel much more consistent. The times were good too, but there was a ton of pulling, so it's hard to compare.

No comments: