Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ugly swim / Deep Tissue Massage

My last two swims have been awful. AWFUL! I’m talking :10-:20 difference per 100 bad. I would be really upset if not for the fact that the one before those two was fantastic. AND I’m very aware of why I’m swimming poorly. We determined this at my lesson last week. My legs are the biggest problem. Not only do I have a problem keeping them high in the water, I also go too wide randomly as well. When I go wide, that often throws off my balance, then I try to correct my balance with my stroke. So things get ugly in a hurry.

You would think that because I’m aware of these things, I shouldn’t have these problems. Unfortunately that’s not how it is. It’s reminding me of learning how to play the piano. It’s one thing to read the music and hear it in your head, and a completely different step to make your hands do what you are thinking. Also swimming, just like piano, if you practice a mistake long enough, it is really hard to change that pattern.

I suppose the good part of my bad technique is that it’s as if I’m wearing a drag suit all the time. So it’s a good strength builder. When I put the wetsuit on, I should be flying. (Should be. We will see).

Sunday I ran the 4 mile race in Central Park, then went out for a 2 hour bike that afternoon. My right leg was not happy with me. During the bike, I kept feeling like I had the most awkward pedal stroke ever. It felt as if I was pushing only using the muscles on the outside of my leg.

Monday morning my ankle was tight. Kind of in the same way that it was last year during my aborted marathon training. Not a good sign. I stretched a bit, then went to the pool. I was really hopeful that the swim would stretch things out a bit. That didn’t really happen. I was not walking normally on that right foot. It didn’t hurt but it wasn’t right.

Fortunately, in preparation for the Marathon last year, I had signed up with a Massage place. Once I was injured, I stopped going. So I now have a bunch of massages that are already paid for at that place. So I call to find out if they have someone available for a deep tissue massage. (I’ve never had the same person twice). They said they did and the person they named I think is the person that had Genine nearly in tears. It’s been awhile, so maybe it’s not the same guy.

It was the same guy. Oh man. It was 60 minutes and all he worked on was the back of my legs. I really thought my right hamstring was going to be the most painful part but I was wrong. When he got to my right calf, he found a knot. He worked on it like crazy. It was intense. I was sweating because it hurt so badly. The bad news is that it never released. Which means I should go back again sooner than later.

Even tho’ that muscle still has a knot, I’m flexible enough that I’m able to walk normally again. Even though both my calves and my IT bands feel like they are bruised.


Overall I was feeling pretty funky on Tuesday, probably from the massage, so I took the day off. That may mean I miss a couple workouts this week but I think it was a good thing to do.

I guess it’s good to figure out how long it takes to recover from a massage. That way if you feel you need one before a race, you will know when to schedule it.

I would like to think that if you have fewer problems going into the massage. It won’t be as painful. I’m not sure that’s the case. I guess I’ll find out the hard way. If I’m smart, I should go back in again next week. Ugh.

No comments: