Thursday, September 26, 2013

Run-Run-Run


I know I’m still missing a couple event reports. The Tango adventure race and the Gran Fondo. I’ll get there eventually, if for nothing else other than keeping track. It’s just been very very busy.

Following the 18 miler the other weekend, I definitely could feel a difference in my legs. They felt strong for a few days. That is until I’d go out for my run. Typically when I go out for a run, the first mile always feels awful. Well following the 18 miler the first 3 miles of each of the 5 mile runs felt like that. I suppose the good news is that it felt right before the end of the run.
The following weekend I went out for my long run on Saturday but only ran 10 miles. I’m fairly certain that capped my longest run week ever, 43 miles in 7 days. I did next to nothing the rest of Saturday and Sunday which was something I haven’t done in a long time. Part of me was stir crazy, part of me was loving it.

The weather has been incredible. I think that is playing a part in how well my training is going. Or maybe it’s the camelbak keeping my better hydrated. Either way I’m loving it. I’m sure it plays a part in keeping my HR low. Last night was my 3rd run of the week. 6/9/6. I actually picked up a Coke on my way home from work to wake me up a bit (I rarely drink soda). I figured without it I was going to have trouble getting myself out the door for this run. When I finished I looked at my garmin. 8:38 min/mile (not a big deal). Avg HR 156 (I think that might be the bigger deal). I seem to remember trying to run slowly enough to stay under ??? during the Mark Allen Training. I can’t believe I don’t even remember my HR zones, nor can I find any reasonable comparisons here on the blog. Anyhow, 156HR avg at 8:38 avg pace dragging my 190+ self around right now sounds pretty solid. When I stop and think about it, I really haven’t done much this year that required me to be in higher zones. If I’m smart I’ll do something with this base once the marathon is over.

This weekend will hopefully be a 20 mile training run. (may be less, may be more). I’m going to try and simulate race day a bit. I’m going to plan/track my Friday eating and pre run nutrition. I also plan to use all the gear I’ll use on race day. So Genine’s number belt because it can hold something like 9 GUs. I’m going to take my palm bottle because I’ll need to either simulate Gatorade stations, or decide that I don’t mind carrying it and I’ll add that to my race day gear. I’m really trying to up my hydration. Hopefully if I remember, I’ll weigh myself before and after my run this weekend and keep track of how much fluid I go through.

Mentally I’m feeling good about the run this weekend. I really want it to go at least as well as the 18 miler and I’d be thrilled if it goes better than that. I still don’t have any visions of running a surprisingly fast marathon. I’m just starting to feel excited that I may have finally trained myself well enough to complete the marathon. But now I’m getting ahead of myself There are still many miles to be run before that happens.

No comments: