Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Gaining Momentum.

Last week I went to see a doctor about my right foot. I’m just concerned that my attempts at working through the problem might actually be making things worse. (kind of like my hamstring stretches) I really don’t want to do something that’s going to cause long term damage.


After explaining to the doctor what problems I’ve been having, I felt that he was completely underwhelmed by my situation. As if I wasn’t damaged enough to even be in the office. Or it could just be that’s just the way he is. I’m hoping that’s the case.


First thing was to get a couple x-rays to make sure that nothing is broken. Nothing was broken, but it looks like I do have a heel spur. (looks like a rose thorn growing out of your heel bone) He didn’t find the spur to be anything to be concerned about. That surprised me, but what do I know about these things?

Now I’m waiting to schedule an MRI. I think that’s going to let them get a look at cartilage and tendons. Of course I’m hoping that they don’t find anything bad. I’ve always wondered what happened with my ankle in the fall of 2010. This is probably my best chance to find out.


In addition to all that. I’ve got Sole Inserts in all my shoes. It definitely provides me with stability and really cuts down on the after run pain, for my right foot. Also I’ve been wearing the boot when I sleep. Things are improving. I should probably start icing my foot daily as well. If it’s just a matter of keeping it stretched out and keeping the inflammation/tendinitis away, I need to make it more of a priority.


Last week was the first week in a very long time that I actually completed my entire workout schedule. That was a good feeling. The metric isn’t speed right now. It’s about being consistent. So finishing the schedule is a step in the right direction.


The other thing that really got me feeling good about things was my run on Sunday. We ran our big hill loop. This course has some serious climbs, which also means some serious declines. The roads were a mess with packed snow and some slush, so it was extra challenging. Anyhow it’s a 6 mile run at the end of which I actually felt good enough to actually RUN! It’s been sooooo long since I’ve been able to do this. Typically my hamstring reminds me that it’s not well and I just have to keep my strides short to try and keep from injuring that further. Not this time. Finally! Running with a good stride. Finishing off the run with a hard effort. That was a big confidence booster. Maybe speed workouts WILL be on the schedule this year!


Speaking of schedules. Some of you might wonder what I’m doing for a plan/training schedule. Well I’m pretending that I know what I’m doing and taking the best of all the different things I’ve done over the last few years. Keeping in mind that I really don’t want an injury or want to end up with shingles or something like that again.


The first thing was to make a plan that allows me to sleep more. I’m trying to take 2 days a week completely off from training. I’m also trying to limit the number of weekday mornings that I have to wake up early to two. Once for a run, once for a swim. I may be kidding myself about this working, but I’m going to try it.


The second thing is my run training. A few years back, I ran a ton of hills during the winter (2 of 3 runs a week were hills, we even ran hill sprints later in the progression). This set me up with a really good run base. I think my biggest mistake with that plan was as we ran longer, I didn’t spend enough time recovering. Hopefully I can manage that aspect better this time. This plan definitely isn’t a Heart Rate Run training plan. I’m not knocking that method. As I said before, I’m going with stuff that seemed to work well for me in the past.


The Third change is my weight training. It took me a long time to figure out what I didn’t like about my plan last year. I guess I should say, I think I figured out what I didn’t like. Early in the schedule each exercise was one set then move on to the next. I did make some gains with this but they seemed marginal. I think it’s because by just doing one set, it was very much like going out for a run, and only running one mile. Or going to the pool and swimming 100m. What I’m saying is my muscles weren’t even warmed up and the set would be done. So I’m going to change to a method where I do more sets, so they are ready to work for the “main set”. As for the build/progression over the length of the entire schedule, I’ve got an outline of an idea but largely I’ll be making it up as I go along.


Swimming typically has been my strongest event. I don’t think I showed that last year tho’. I certainly don’t feel like I’m anywhere near that being the case now either. I realize that it’s the least important event in the sense of time given the position in the pack that I’m typically in. But I enjoy it. It’s something I want to be better at. (heck, at this point, I want to be as good as I was). It doesn’t look like I’m going to have a group to swim with again this year, so I’m thinking I’ll contact Coach Q again. I’m hoping he can help me build my swim plan and give me a lesson every now and then.


Biking: I realize this is the area with the biggest payoff in terms of time but for whatever reason, it’s the one I care about the least. I think part of the reason for my attitude here could be my frustration in getting myself setup well on my bike. Last year I felt everything but my right foot/cleat was pretty good. So I started making adjustments to try and get that right foot set right. Well I feel like I got it, but now the left doesn’t feel correct. As I said, it’s frustrating.


I do enjoy going out on weekends and riding around NJ. I feel we are in a really nice area of NJ in terms of variation of difficulty and safety during our rides. I should just go buy us some nice CX bikes or mountain bikes and some winter riding gear. Maybe then I would stay more inspired about cycling.

But what’s the plan? Time in the saddle, hill repeats and speed work as I get closer to race season.

A better plan would probably be to find a group ride and try to climb my way into one of the better groups. I’m sure there is a lot I could learn. Maybe in the fall once Tri season is over and I’m back in shape, but I doubt it.


All in all, I'm feeling much more positive than I have in quite awhile about all this. Later on!

No comments: