Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Tango approacheth

I bought a cheap snorkel today to see whether that would be a benefit for swimming speed in any configuration. I was reminded of some things that I have not experienced for years, since I don't really ever have occasion to snorkel, normally. First, it is hard to breathe with your whole body underwater. The pressure of the water makes it harder to expand your lungs, giving a kind of asthma-like feeling. I couldn't quite ever get enough air into my lungs. The deeper you go, even to 3 or 4 feet, the harder it gets. The snorkel also adds drag. More length to the snorkel will add more drag.

I spotted a cheap set of very stiff and long fins tonight at Ollie's outlet, but they turned off the lights on me before I could tell whether I should get them or not. If I were going to drill holes in a set of fins to make my whale tail by adding some kind of custom plastic appendage, this is the sort I would want. I may go back and check them out. I think they would be 17 bucks.

I am still thinking that if I don't use my arms, a professional swimmer could beat me using the crawl, even if I have fins on. This concerns me. I want to go faster! I have not yet experienced tired legs in the water. I just run out of air when I really push it using all four limbs. I need time to experiment. The Tango is only 38 days away! I also need some webbed gloves so I can get those muscles and joints in shape.

In the meantime, I will keep up with the HR training so I can set the reservoir on fire.

No comments: