Monday, June 4, 2007

Mooseman weekend

So I hosted Scott and Sonya at the farm this weekend so they could compete in the Mooseman. Sonya ran the International on Saturday. They were up at 5am and down to the lake before 6. She was hoping for a sub 4 hour time and missed it by only a few minutes. She said that the swim was good but that she tends to panic early and that leads to lost time but then calms down and gets back into it. They both admitted that the swim course looked daunting from the beach. Typically, ocean courses only go out beyond the breakers then go parallel to the beach. The Newfound course makes a big arc way out into the lake, really out in deep water. Anyhow, Sonya said that she took advantage of all three chainrings on the hilly bike course but saw some people pushing their bikes up hills. She also admitted that she walked a few times on the run.
Ryan and I went to the beach at 3:00 (beautiful day, couldn't resist) and I was amused at the number of athletes sitting on the beach chugging beer. One girl in a group of about 10 was trying to get the others to admit that they had also walked during the run.
Scott was in the half-iron on Sunday. The weather was pretty crappy, misty, damp and cool. He said he didn't notice at all. His goal was to finish sub 6 hours and he accomplished it! He didn't seem very happy about it, tho. His brother (my buddy Phil) asked him why he was upset. He smashed his personal record on the swim, broke his personal record on the bike and turned in an average time on the run. Phil asked "Would you have done better in Georgia (their home state) because the roads are better and flatter?" Scott's answer was "Yeah!" So Phil says "Then you rode a tougher course and kicked it's ass! What's your problem?" Leave it up to a brother to straighten you out.
Their final word to me Sunday afternoon was that they wouldn't be back. They use Triathalons as destination holidays and didn't find New England all that attractive. I think that they just didn't like the mosquitos. They are ferocious this year, there are clouds of them at the farm.
If you have any questions let me know and I'll try to recall more of my conversations with them.

4 comments:

CSquared said...

You mentioned how hilly the course was. I thought really, it is around a lake, how hilly could it be. Mooseman has a hill profile with there course map. I stand corrected. Pretty nice. There is a good 400 ft climb near the 20 mile mark, doesn't look monster steep, but it is up hill for a long while. Also a couple nice quick climbs on the northern end of the lake, just to hurt your legs early.

Eric, thanks for the update. I personally have found New England gorgeous, despite the bugs. My trip with you guys to your farm, and a trip to Maine with my parents. I would prefer to do all my triathlons in New England. Well, I might choose to go to Carribean in February over New England, but only because the water isn't frozen.

SJV said...

Eric Harr recommends the Cayman Islands Triathlon. Who's up for that next fall?

I think New England is great too, but we grew up in the woods of the Northeast. It's in our blood. Thanks for the update, Eric.

I'm not excited about these hills either, but what are we gonna do? Not many hills in the Caymans...

catmarlson said...

Eric mentioned to me that some people snorkeled the swim. So I posted the USA Triathlon Rules link on the side bar.
I can't see that it's legal.

SJV said...

Snorkeling is not supposed to be legal, to my understanding. Maybe in the Tango, it's okay, but not in a sanctioned triathlon.