Monday, January 22, 2007

Shorts Story

Shawn has requested I share this, and hopefully it will help you. I will pass this story on, and not to offend anyone I will refer to it as the "area" (I believe you can figure it out). Most would say with any kind of distance training that some chaffing would occur. So I took some precautions in my training, but I also did not want to get too carried away in spending money on clothing. So, I did buy some nice running shorts, you know the kind, short and silky with the built in brief that treated the "area" petty fairly. Well as I got closer to the triathlon I realized that this style of shorts was not modest to swim in and problematic when biking. I didn't want to wear strictly biking shorts because they have too large a cameo in the crouch area (feels funny when it gets wet). I couldn't find "reasonably" priced tri-shorts. So I found a pair of running shorts that were a little longer, a little heavier on the outside material.

The shorts had a different liner than my other running shorts. I would say it was similar to a pair of swimming trunks. You know the white mesh style, but it had a real a tight mesh. I trained in them. I even did a bike/run session where I biked 10 miles and ran 2.5. No problem. They worked great.

I did my whole triathlon. I felt tired. My muscle hurt. We went home. I had a company picnic to go to in the afternoon, so I took a shower. I usually seem to back into the shower spray, getting my back wet, which I did this time. I then turned around in the shower, the warm water hit the "area", and I hit the ceiling. Man did that burn. When I stopped jumping around I was able to look down for some further inspection. Well sure enough my wonderful shorts had, for lack of a better term, "brush burned" the tip of the "area".

I tenderly worked around it in the shower. Then the true dilemma occurred at the picnic. We go to a Wave Pool. Of course that is what the kids wanted to do, the WHOLE TIME. It was okay as long as water was around my waist. If I had to to get out or the waves were moving up and down, it was burning! I slept with a pair of silk boxer's on for the next two nights (not for romantic reasons).

With every story there is a moral. Don't' be too cheap to buy the clothes you need or think way ahead of time and wait for them to go on sale.

Understand we are now training for a triathlon twice as long as the one I did. Does that mean twice the burn?

4 comments:

CSquared said...

I will immediately comment to my post. I am offended by such a story. Ha!

Here is a ebay site with some good prices on tri clothing.

Let me know if you find some others.

http://stores.ebay.com/hannulink-triathlon-gear_De-Soto-Sport-Men_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ5QQftidZ2QQtZkm

McA said...

Craig,
Thanks for the story. You've created quite a mental image. I'm now searching for an imaginary pencil to poke out my mind's eye.

Ethanol said...

Oh, come on! How much can it hurt? The tip of your "area" is probably only a couple of microns wide.
ROFL!

Casey said...

Thanks for the heads-up (pun intended). I will definitely spend the extra money to ensure my "special purpose" is protected at all times.