Friday, January 26, 2007

Family Fun Night

Went to Maddy's school last night for a family fun night. It was a fun night that required us to bring our sneakers. They had five 20 minute stations, each station was designed to teach you something about health.
  1. Walk off the Pounds - We did a video where we walked in place for 20 minutes with hand weights during about 10 minute of it. We did leg kicks and knee lifts. Kid's had a great time.
  2. Dancercize - Place Station (I think Play Station, first time I had ever done it), where you have to hit the arrows on the pad on the floor. We did it to YMCA. I was getting BOOED by the virtual audience more than once.
  3. Basketball Drills - Eleanor just picked the ball up and ran with it. Dribbling is not her forte'
  4. Why tobacco, soft drink, and sweets are bad for you via a Power Point Presentation. They had some props, most interesting was the egg (still in the shell) soaked in COKE for two days, next to an egg soaked in water for two days. Nasty! I wonder what my small intestine looks like.
  5. Height, Weight, Blood Pressure and BMI (Body Mass Index) check station and discussion about such. My BMI was a 28. It said I was overweight. A 30 is obese. 24.5 would get me back into the healthy range. For my 6' 3" frame I would have to weigh 195 lbs. Whoa, check it out, I don't know if I can get there from here. Plus that would take me out of the Clydesdale division. By the way the rest of my family had a BMI between 16.1 and 17.5, all were underweight (18.5-25 normal range).

Check out stuff on BMI. It might make you set a more realistic goal for weight loss. I have to believe that frame size, & muscle mass would have to have an effect on it. The charts they were using were pretty generic.

Here is a generic website to calculate. You just enter your height weight and bam, you found out how overweight you are.

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/

1 comment:

catmarlson said...

1: Walk off the pounds. Was Richard Simmons invovled?

2: Play Station DDR. Fun Stuff! We could have a post race dance off!

3: Picking up the ball and running. I seem to remember Jerry would do this when we'd play too. He seems pretty healthy. She's going to be ok.

4: This is where I think even diet coke is not diet friendly. I think the acid helps you break down food. Which makes you hungrier faster or eat more at a single sitting without suffering as long afterwords. Just my theory. I have no link to back that up.

5: BMI. I think all of us are smart enough to know when we are out of shape. At same time I'm guessing we will know when we are at a healthy weight as well. As you said, way too generic of a measure.