Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Insanity

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Just a reminder that it's important to take a good look at what you have been doing and decide if you would benefit from some changes.

The pool is the first place I really started to feel like I was stuck. Once I got my swim endurance back into place. I no longer had the endurance improvement to be happy with. The focus then shifts to speed. That's when I decided to pay for the coaching. My technique is far from perfect and I've had success with the coach in the past. Currently, I feel like I'm thinking a lot while I'm swimming and I'm still questioning whether I'm doing everything right. I've got 4 more lessons before Columbia. I'm sure I'll be swimming more confidently by then.

Running: I've been following a 70.3 training schedule to get me to our June 24th race. Last year we were following a 70.3 schedule to get us to an August race. We are definitely deeper into the schedule this year compared to last year. Last year I remember thinking I had done no speed workouts heading into the Olympic distance races of Columbia and Mooseman, and I felt like I short changed myself in terms of race results. So this year I've modified my schedule. I've added speed workouts into the build leading to those shorter races. Last night was the first of them. I couldn't get myself motivated to go to the track alone in the fading sunlight, so I fired up the dreadmill. (It's not too dreadful for speed work). It was a good workout. I probably should have run faster on the 400s. Or maybe it was a safe place to start.

Biking: The event I feel I haven't a clue about. Give me a flat, non-technical ride and I'll probably do well. (I think I've only raced one flat event, DC in 2009). Again, I'd like to make an improvement over last year's Olympic races. So it's time to add the speed work. I've got a Spinervals DVD or 2 and some interval workouts. That will have to do. I'd like to see 1:15:00 at the end of the bike leg at Columbia. Last year I was close, but flatted near the end. Ugh! I don't feel fast on the bike at all yet. I'm hoping that changes in the next few weeks.

There are many other things I wish I could add to my training but I just don't have time. I'm not complaining tho'. The fact that my foot is cooperating with me has really changed my perspective on the entire race season. I'm going to make the most of it and hope that it keeps getting better.

I'm also looking forward to the start of the Tango discussions. I can tell people are starting to think about it. There is a stat meter on my pictures posted on Flickr and people have been looking through them again. The Buzz has begun!

2 comments:

SJV said...

I thought you were gonna pull out the Insanity DVDs! Those'll get you going. Change things up a bit. You'll be breaking records in no time.

catmarlson said...

If I could lose my commute, I could add something to my schedule. I miss stuff on my schedule as it is.