Monday, August 31, 2009

What does a new baby cost you?


I am not sure of the monetary figure to raise a child to 22 years or so, but I do know it cost me about six minutes.

I got an early starting heat because of last years time (1:04:15), 8:00 AM. So, none of the family came to see me off. Tamara had to work and the kids spent the day at Grandmas. So all by my lonesome I went to the Tri. Of course I know lots of people who do this race so alone is a relative concept. I got marked upped and set up in transition. I was in a heat with 8 guys from Romney, WV and a local guy I shared a lane with last year. They were fun guys. When the numbers get called to enter the pool they don’t call my number with this group. I walk in anyways, they inform me I was bumped and will start at 8:10. So I say farewell to my new friends. As the 7:50 group is finishing, they realize they only have 9 in the 8:00 am group, so I am back in. Funny note is all the other nine guys had black shorts on, I had blue.

Mark, set, go. I feel good for the first four lengths. Then I started to die. My lack of swimming is really showing up. I decide to push to stay close to my previous years time. In retrospect this was probably a mistake. About 10 seconds slower than last year.

I jump out of the pool and into transition. No socks, shirt on, helmet on and shoes on the bike. I jump on bike and go, feet on top of shoes. I should have practiced this fatigued a couple times; I rode for almost a mile before getting my feet into the shoes. I tried three times unsuccessfully to get them in. This probably cost me a minute somewhere. Finally going. This course is flat, but when I did the turn around I hit a head wind and started to really die. Three guys pass me in my heat. My lane mate and two guys from Romney. The Romney fellows are definitely drafting. I was thinking, good luck with that. Hope you get a penalty. They get a little ways in front of me, did I mention it was wet from rain even though it never rained during the race. The guy in the rear goes to take a drink from a water bottle, his rear tire drops off the tarmac into grass, he jerks back up on the trail. His rear tire goes sideways. He held it for a long time, then down he goes, he is sliding down the rail trail and bike off into the weeds. I have plenty of time to avoid him, but I sit up and quit pedaling “You all right”, “Yeah, I can handle it”. Off I go. I did chuckle a little bit, “Serves you right for drafting”. I did check on him at the end, he was Ok. I didn’t mention the drafting to him, but I did emphasize it to his teammates. Feet out of shoes last quarter mile, came to a stop before dismounting. Legs just couldn’t handle the flying dismount. 34:29 (almost 3 minutes slower than last year)

At this point I realize I am not going to match last years time, but am shooting for my goal of 1:07 or 1:08. Once again no socks, slide on shoes and take a big drink of water, out I run. After the first mile, which was a 9:30 or so, I realize no way am I going to get a 1:08, just hold on for the best time I can. My next mile was under 9 mins, about 8:45. Then my legs finally felt good, I went under 8 mins on the last mile. This was the only time I caught someone in my heat. I did pass about 5 others from previous heats, but they were just out to finish. No one passed me. My run was 26:56 (over 3 mins slower than last year) I am satisfied.

My training was dismal coming into this race. I was disappointed in the bike, I think I underestimated how much not swimming on a regular basis was going to affect the other legs. I over did it in the swim, which caused me to try to compensate on the bike, which blew me on the run. Again, I am satisfied, I wouldn’t trade playing catch with a baseball, playing Bocce in the backyard, going to Idlewild Amusement Park, or holding a baby while Tamara gets done things that she had to put off for the six minutes I lost.

Couple of fun notes – I was 15 seconds faster in my transitions, from last year.
Friend Noah Brak took 8th overall (Matt knows him) with a 55:57. Four hours later he ran for the WVU triathlon team and ran an 18:33 5k (two seconds faster than the 5k he ran in his individual tri), he had hoped to be closer to 17 he told me before he ran.
New SSS champion Derek Clark. Only champion other than Vinnie Monseau (who didn’t compete). Derek trains with Vinnie and I think was four time runner up prior to his victory, he did a 50:47, and like Vinnie won by over two minutes. Derek is a nice guy, met him last year, talked to him at the kids race, and when I started the run he was standing there cheering for me by name, not that he waited for me, but it just reminded me how great triathletes are at encouraging each other. On the run, I couldn’t remember one person coming towards me that didn’t say some word of encouragement. It was good to race, I hope to do more.

Sprint Splash Spin73/238 Overall 13th age group Total 1:10:17
Swim 330 Yds 6:52
T1 0:54
Bike 11 mile 34:29
T2 1:06
5K Run 26:56

4 comments:

catmarlson said...

Very cool. Glad you are keeping your attendance record going at this race.

Good work with the shoes on the bike. I'll have to try that someday...

I'm with you about these things being fun. The atmosphere is really fantastic.

Congrats!

GC said...

Nice overall performance, Craig!
Very well done. The shoe on the bike thing is something I want to practice for next year...maybe.

And I agree whole heartedly, some things in life are worth way more than 6 minutes! :-)

GC said...

great pictures of the kids!! How did they do in their race?

Mjay said...

Congrats Craig on a great race. The investment of time with the kids is worth the 6 minutes it cost you!!