Thursday, April 24, 2008

Gear Ratios Craig/Matt


Click on the picture above for a bigger view.

I was curious. I'm not very good knowing the ratios so I looked them up.
So did you do that whole climb in saddle then?
I might have to do hill climbs every day in NH during my July Vacation. I plan on riding the Timberman course at the very least.
Speaking of the July Vacation, any chance of the Vashaw's stopping by? I believe we are looking at July 12-21.

I also realized my Triathlon season kind of ends in June. Nothing on the calendar in July. Tango and perhaps the Morgantown Sprint in August. (I'll admit I'd like to repeat that race, just to get an read on improvement on the same course.)
There is a sprint in Bangor ME in September. Would be a good excuse to see Jason and Anne. Maybe get Jason going on this Tri thing again.
Finally if I stay on track, join Jim and his gang at the NH marathon. Any excuse to spend time at the farm I suppose. Am I crazy to make that course my first marathon?

Now that Jim is back from the Boston Marathon and his other trips. I'd like to bring up Tango teams again. Is this something we should put off until after the Mooseman? We can use that race as a reality check? Or is that not necessary? I think I know where Jim and Shawn are regarding the Tango. Craig what were you hoping for?

If you didn't look at the spreadsheet, I ran 5 slow miles tonight. Left Hamstring is tight but I'll keep working on that. Basically from the time I tweaked my back until my adjustment Monday, that muscle has been in some sort of spasm/cramp. It's going to take some time to get it stretched back out and relaxed.
My Chiropractor wanted me to stop in for another visit before the race this weekend. I would have done it if he were there for the adjustment. He's not going to be there and the other Dr. has never adjusted me. I'm not going to go with an unknown Dr at this point. I canceled the Pre-Race adjustment. I'll see the Dr I like on Monday for a Post-Race adjustment instead.

8 comments:

SJV said...

If you do that week, we might actually make it for a couple of days. I'm not sure yet how we are going to swing all this...gas is dang expensive now and I don't have a job all summer (other than being a househusband and father). But that week is definitely one of the better options for us. Hope we can do it.

CSquared said...

In the saddle, but out of the aero position. Beginning of last year I use to stand up. I then fixed my position/seat height to stay in the saddle. I find the spin is more consistent which leads to higher average speed up hills. I do somewhat push my butt to the back of the saddle, but I am in contact with it.

I am doing the Tango, if someone will have me. My sense is to do two to three legs of it at the most. Me no solo or full tango. And the swim is the only thing I would shy away from, not saying I wouldn't do it, but training time in the swim is tough. 9/10 of a mile is one thing, 2+, AAAGH!

I am getting the impression we may have people that want to do the full Monty. I just am not that much of a slow twitch guy, YET!

CSquared said...

Oh, I only have 9 on the rear cassette. The twelve and 25 are the only two I can confirm, but it is a great reference tool.

I again will state, I would rather have the two in the front. Too many in the front cause adjustment problems. It has to be too precise, the old bike had lots of slop and you could get away with a cable stretching or shifting to the 52/26. This bike hates the 52/25 combo and the 30/12. Professional cyclists sometimes only use one sprocket on the front during a time trial if it is flat enough. It eliminates the possibility of derailment on the front. Ask David Millar how he lost the Tour de France Prologue about four years ago? He had to get off the bike to put the chain back on. Then he lamented he didn't listen to the coach and go with one sprocket in the front.

Triples are not what they are cracked up to be. If the hill climbing is going to be awful, maybe a 27 instead of a 26 would do the trick. I don't want to complain too much, because I really like the new bike, but if I stay serious, I may be buying a new front cassette in a year or so.

catmarlson said...

Tango: So if you and I are 2 man relay, is this agreeable?
13.1 mile run: Me
20 mile Bike: You
2.5 mile swim: Me
7+ mile Orienteering: Both of us
4.5 mile run: You
Canoe: Both of us

I can't imagine we will be too competitive but it will be a challenging day.

If being competitive overall is still the goal, it seems to me we need to add someone for speed on both the run legs.
I believe we are doing alright in the Bike, Swim and Orienteering.

CSquared said...

That scenario is great.

But, let me ask this. What is that Matt wants to do? I am always in favor of being "competitive". As Shawn states the easiest way would be competitive is to replace three of us.

Let me know if your answer is to find a runner or whatever.

catmarlson said...

I'll have fun at this event no matter the scenario.

If it's Jim/Shawn vs Craig/Matt, that's entertainment right there. Who cares about the rest of the participants!!

I'm not positive I can answer exactly what I'd want to do in this race. I suppose I'll have a better idea after doing these next 3 races.

One thing I'm sure of. I don't have a bike for this race. Unless I upgrade my other bike. I'm not really interested in that part.

I figured Jim would be the speed guy, I'm not sure I've got a backup plan if he's paired with Shawn.
Any ideas?

CSquared said...

My only other idea, if we wanted to be "competitive" was to add Maija onto a coed team, have her run all the speed stuff, and then just one of us to hold on when she needs a partner. Ha!

What about Coed? Less competition, maybe?

SJV said...

Okay, I'll chime in again. Jim has mentioned that he may want to try the Full Monty, the Whole Enchilada, the...okay, you get it, but he isn't sure yet. Swimming is his least favorite thing, but he's willing to suffer through it if he's prepared to do it all. I am interested in either doing it as a Tango Team, or a two-man relay. If Jim and I are a relay team, we make a pretty good one because we can each play to our strengths, but we could never Tango together, as he would blow me away on the run and I would have to have him waterskiing behind me in the swim. Okay, he'd probably kill me in the orienteering and biking too. If I'm gonna Tango Team it, then I need someone with a similar skill set, someone who is not the fastest runner, but is durable and a pretty good swimmer...someone like Matt, don't ya know? I am going to be ready to do this event by August, and my weight will be down, my run times will be down, and my endurance will be up. Am I going to beat Toby? No. But the Tango Teams rarely swim too fast, so we could catch some of them there. I was curious to know if Tandem bikes would be allowed in the bike section. I have access to two of those, one a Cannondale. That would kinda even out the bike portion, but it might be against the rules because of that. I am not pushing for any specific scenario yet, but it would be handy to know what was in store. I think my goal is to be ready for anything. I don't think I will be any good, but I do think I can keep plugging away until I finish. I too think the two two-man team scenario would provide some good competition and humor, both amongst ourselves and against other teams. I think even with half the members of last year, we would still be more in the mix this year. If Jim ends up being ready to do it all, then I bet I could find somebody to fill those shoes. Maybe not quite as handsome, but at least willing. So if you guys want to start planning, I can make sure I will be there with a team one way or another. But I'll wait for Jim to decide before I start looking for a replacement. And who knows...maybe I'll be ready to Solo by then.