Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Ironman 70.3 WorldChampionship on the Tube

http://www.ironmanlive.com/events/ironman70.3/worldchampionship70.3/nbc-to-air-the-ford-ironman-world-championship-70.3-from-florida-on-saturday

The ironman 70.3 World Championship (half-ironman) is going to be televised this Saturday (Mar 31) 2pm on NBC. Two points of interest for me. A guy, Vinnie Monseau, who won the triathlon I competed in (beat me by almost 20 minutes) and is a local here, competed in this Championship. He was 430ish, but is only an amateur.

The second point of interest is the dude (Christopher Legh) who won the half-ironman they do in Morgantown, WV (which I volunteer for) took fourth place in the Championship that is going to be televised.

So, my point is even though neither one of these guys could pick me out of a crowd, I know them or know who they are. Actually, the Mr. Legh, after winning the triathlon went back to his hotel and packed up his stuff. Then he decided to drive closer to the awards ceremony area. I was working traffic control to keep people from driving into this area. So, when he tried to make a turn into this area, he forced me to yell at him, I even went so far as to tap the hood of his SUV to get him to stop. He was nice, since it was a rental, and informed me who he was. I said "I don't care who you are, my instructions are to keep any and all vehicles out of this area, so beat it dirt bag". No, I didn't say that. I folded like a cheap lawn chair on a windy beach. "Park over here Mr. Legh, by all means, run over the person in 250th place, they probably slowed you down anyways when you lapped them on the bike and deserve it".

I believe it is an hour coverage of this event from Clearwater. They always show the winners than follow two to four people on the human interest part. Someone making a come back, someone disabled, someone old, and someone who had their head severed and reattached, and without use of half their body still seem to be able to train 40 hours a week, finishing the event under the time limit. Just kidding, but it is usually good stuff.

No comments: